Friday 27 April 2012

Out of hibernation...

Every year on the first weekend of May, we get the van out of hibernation in the garage, empty her out, clean her up, tax her for 6 months and then we give her a spin. Luckily for me, we are having a skip this weekend so we can have a massive spring clean and declutter. This means that the van is out early, so me and my toddler have been braving the weather and giving the van her Springtime makeover.

Here is a little peek of her, which I had to take through the windows so the neighbours don't think I've completely lost the plot, photographing my van in the pouring rain.





I've also brought in all the camping plates and cups and given them a quick clean up. They were washed but have been sitting in the van for months and months. One day I'd like to splash out on some lovely enamelware or melamine from Pedlars, but these plates do the job and have been on many adventures with us over the past couple of years. Especially my plastic wine glass which you can see at the back of the photo. Whilst cleaning out the van I found postcards from my friend's wedding, festival programmes, baby sized wellies, glow sticks and all sorts, so I have had a little reminisce too.



Then after the excitement that was the delivery of the skip lorry (my little boy was beside himself with excitement and waved the lorry goodbye about 100 times!), we have been pottering around and I made some apple cake for us to take out in the van tomorrow.

Here's the recipe I used, although if I made it again I would tweak it a bit.


Apple cake


1 egg
125ml vegetable oil
125g caster sugar
150g plain flour
1 tsp ground cinammon
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
splash of milk
250g, cored peeled and diced apples


Preheat oven to 180 C. Lightly grease a cake tin.
Beat the oil and the egg until frothy, then add additional ingredients.
Pour into the tin (the mixture will be thick) and bake for 45 minutes.


I have had a little piece for tasting purposes, and if I make it again, I think I would swap half of the caster sugar for demerera sugar and perhaps add a touch more spice. Overall, it's pretty good.


Hope you have a nice weekend, feels like one to spend splashing in puddles and hiding in cosy country pubs!


No comments:

Post a Comment