Monday 16 April 2012

Campervan cooking

I have to confess, I'm not the world's greatest cook. Having 2 little ones makes me shudder at the thought of a trip to the local supermarket and I've let things slip a bit.

So, what I'm planning to do is to focus on making quick, easy recipes that dont require a lot of fancy mixers, ovens, twenty different ingredients or three hours preparation, because I havent got the time or inclination.
What I'm after is nice, tasty food with simple ingredients.

Last year I bought this cookbook for my friend's birthday and I also bought one for my myself.


This is available from amazon for just over ten pounds and is well worth the money. It is loosely based on the television series that was out last year, is full of lovely campervan and foody photography and great tips about places to see, festivals, surfing, campsites and cocktails. Pretty much covers all of life's essentials for me.

So far, I've made

Exploding egg banjos (that's fried eggs in a  bread roll ha ha)
Rocky road - very nice but oh my goodness, way too sweet! I felt a sick after eating too many pieces of this. Hmm there's a lesson to be learned there I think.
Big chill chilli- this was a big hit.

I have turned over loads of corners in the book and am going to try and make a new recipe and share it on here each week, with marks out of 10 for taste and practicality for cooking it in the campervan.

Today I knocked this up for lunch. I accidentally dropped way too much chilli flakes into it, so it was hotter than expected, but actually very nice. So I am going to call it...

Mama Sunshine's blow your mouth off pasta




Serves 2


200g fresh egg tagliatelle
100g creme fraiche
1/2 tin tuna
1 tsp capers
10 blacl olives
olive oil
generous dash of chilli flakes
1/2 ball mozzarella, roughly chopped


Cook the pasta, add the other ingredients, stir, throw in the mozzarella, add black pepper, job done!
Easy peasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment