Monday 9 July 2012

Festival fancy dress

Last weekend was pretty miserable in lots of ways. The rain continued to pour down. My son had a speech and language therapy assessment and I was told that his speech was delayed and he needed additional support. And something strange happened to my foot...I was in so much pain I spent much of Saturday morning in the local A&E department, getting it x-rayed. Turns out I have an extra piece of bone sticking out of the side that shouldnt be there, very strange. The nurse and doctors said they had never seen it before and need a second opinion. In the meantime, I have been told to rest, elevate it and put ice on it FOR A WEEK! Ha ha! That is not going to happen is it, with two small kids to look after?

So part of me is worrying a bit now, that I wont be able to go to the festival at all. The other half of me is determined not to worry too much and carry on with my preparations.

So over the weekend, I have been finalising my fancy dress outfits ready for the Silly Olympics theme at Camp Bestival.

Mr S will be wearing a 70s England tracksuit top, with a bad curly wig, lots of fake plastic medals from the local kids farm and a cycling proficiency badge...


My daughter decided she wanted to be an "Olympic Princess". After lots of thought, she decided she wants to be Princess Peach. I have been working on her costume for the past few weeks and I'm pretty chuffed with it actually! It has cost me nothing as it is made out of an old pillowcase, a cut up batgirl costume, some felt and a few fake jewels which we stole off my Mother's Day card. Last weekend I ingeniously made her crown out of a pringles box which we sprayed gold, covered in the above jewels and glued it onto a headband. Blue Peter eat your heart out...


Today I was supposed to making a Mario costume and was about to start sewing a hat, when I realised that he will probably rip the hat off after 5 minutes and then he will just be a toddler in a red t-shirt and dungarees. So I have just won this rather tasteful Superman muscle suit off ebay! I'm sure I will be able to take lots of embarrassing photos that I can use to bribe him when he is a teenager. And if he runs off, hopefully I will be able to spot him.


And I have decided that I really dont want to do the Silly Olympic theme, so I am going to embrace the evening disco look instead, in a 1970s rainbow maxi dress, silly sunglasses and afro wig. I saw the dress in a charity shop window and it was so bonkers, I knew it had to be mine. And it fits perfectly!



So we are certainly not going to look tasteful, but we will definitely be dressed to boogie!

Hey Mrs M, if you're reading this, what are you wearing?

No comments:

Post a Comment